Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sins of Omission, Commission, and Hidden Sin

Psalm 19

I have often heard sin described as being of omission (by NOT doing something I should do such as loving the Lord my God with all of my heart), or of commission (by doing something I should NOT be doing such as lying).  Here David describes another sin where we need protection.

The decrees of the LORD are firm,
   and all of them are righteous.

...
But who can discern their own errors?
   Forgive my hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
   may they not rule over me.


The only way we can be "free" of sin in terms of it being a chronic issue for us is to seek oneness and forgiveness with Christ and to seek purification and both life and heart transformation as only Christ can provide.  Christ can not only purify us of our sin that we can see but also the sin we can't see or our blind spots.

My Prayer: Lord, You are great as David proclaims here in this Psalm and You know everything about me and use all that I am good and bad - I marvel at how great You are and perfect Your will is.  Forgive me for my abrupt nature and how this impacts people as I know it is not your desire as you desire me to love all as you love me.  Purify me and transform my heart and my life.