Thursday, February 9, 2012

And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.

1 Corinthians 10

12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! 13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.  

Key for me is that "[Christ] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."

We are to endure temptation.  James expands on this view:

2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4)

James' view (and one that we should share) is that endure is not a word that we should fear or loathe.  Instead we are to welcome opportunities to perfect our faith.  Of course there is a fine line in that we should focus on doing good and glorifying God and through that process we are to be tested and refined.

The challenge then is in James' view as he goes on is to act out our faith:

22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do. 

Bottom line for me is that I will not be tested in my faith unless I ACT out my faith.  God will deliver me from temptation as Paul writes but I must first act out my faith.

My prayer: Lord Jesus, You have refined and purified my faith and I feel strengthened yet I continue to be timid in my faith, acting in ways that display an immaturity in my faith.  I know this is NOT what You desire for me.  Please forgive me for not being bold and help me Lord Jesus so that I can be more bold in my faith as I do want to be tested and refined.  Transform my heart and my life Lord Jesus.