Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

1 Corinthians 9

I know we are to serve but no where is it more strongly worded in my reading of the bible (which admittedly is still an ongoing process and I have yet to read the entire Bible) to serve.

19 I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

Paul goes on...

20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. 

I am not only to serve but I am to think of myself as a slave, as my body is not owned by myself as it is owned by Christ Jesus.

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. (Matthew 16:24)


Also:


26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:26-28)

The question for me then becomes:
Do I have a servant heart (for all) or do I have a selfish heart?

My Prayer: Lord, I know You died for me as ransom for my sins and to this very day and until the end of time You will love, protect, and teach me (and so on).  I don't deserve this and I am grateful for this undeserving gift.  Please forgive me for my selfish heart and I pray earnestly that you will transform my heart so that I might have a servant heart as Paul does and of course as You do.  Transform my heart and my life Lord Jesus.