Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Therefore, “Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord.

2 Corinthians 6

14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belia? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:
   
“I will live with them
   and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
   and they will be my people.”

 17 Therefore,
   “Come out from them
   and be separate,
            says the Lord.

Paul references Old Testament scripture here in Isaiah (52:11).


11 Depart, depart, go out from there!
   Touch no unclean thing!
Come out from it and be pure,
   you who carry the articles of the LORD’s house. 

Once again I am challenged to be separate from those in the unbelieving world.  This of course is more than just belief but in behavior, with implications at least as follows:

- Demonstrated avoidance of sin
- Demonstrated fruits of the spirit as discussed in this chapter verses 6-7 or in Galatians 5:22-23.

While I can say in the affirmative to both of the above at least some of the time, that means that OTHER times I don't - a stark reminder of my desperate need for Christ.

My Prayer: Lord, You lived a Holy and perfect life and You came to earth and died on the cross to save me - specifically.  What an awesome gift that I clearly do not deserve.  You are great and I need You badly.  Please forgive me for my lack of patience, anger, pride, and so many other things that I do that I should not.  Also forgive me for my lack of boldness in demonstrating fruits of the spirit.  Please help me be more bold Lord Jesus.  Please also purify and refine me - invade my heart and transform both my heart and my life.  Help me lead a life that is truly separate and distinguished from unbelievers - I want to be a light for You Lord Jesus and I want to glorify You.