Monday, February 6, 2012

Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?

1 Corinthians 3

We've been talking alot about grace at church and I am challenged to provide grace for another.  Scripture in this chapter reinforces where we should start.

16 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple. 

I need to view others as Jesus does and here Paul is saying that each one of God's children is (although he is specifically talking to believers here) of value as God lives in each person.  This is consistent with the parable of the lost sheep:

1 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. 2 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

3 Then Jesus told them this parable: 4 “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? 5 And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders 6 and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ 7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent. (Luke 15:1-7)

I have people in my life where I live as if I don't value these people.  This is sinful.  At the very least it is sinful that I THINK these people don't have value.

My Prayer: Lord, you are an awesome God...that You love me even though I am broken person and a sinner.  I am unworthy of Your love yet You love me anyway.  Lord, please forgive me for my sin - for my lust and for my wrongful thinking.  There is more and this needs forgiveness too.  All I know is that I need You Lord Jesus Christ.  Help me fix my eyes on You - please purify me of my sin and transform both my heart and my life.