Thursday, September 3, 2015

Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.

1 Peter 2

Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. v13-14

I often grumble about my work situation and God does not want us to grumble. How can glorify God when we are complaining.  Peter helps explain this:

For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
 
Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. v15-21

Paul also wants us to obey our earthly masters - see here in Ephesians 6

Another nugget of Truth from this morning is how we are "not [to] use your freedom as a cover-up for evil", meaning that we have free will - but is this no excuse for sin!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, how great You are!  You came to earth to live among us and were tempted in every way but lived a pure, holy and blameless life.  You then suffered and died for us so that we could be forgiven for our sins and have eternal life with You in heaven - a love that knows no bounds - awesome!  Thank Your Jesus!  I am not worth such a love as I often neglect to bring You the first fruits of my time daily - please forgive me and help me turn from such sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Help me obey authority on earth, not grumble, glorify You, and not use freedom as a cover up for sin.  Please heal and cure Lisa of her cancer.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin.  Please provide Linda with relief for her home situation - protect her and her son.  Please also provide ML with a new job that is more than she desires for herself - provide peace and encouragement to both Linda and ML.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.