Thursday, September 17, 2015

They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for “people are slaves to whatever has mastered them.”

2 Peter 2

They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for “people are slaves to whatever has mastered them.” v19

Peter, who is warning us about false teachers, refers here to those teachers with a searing but true claim about how they promise something that is empty, and in fact is a trap.  This claim rings true particularly so in today's culture where freedom is defined as an ability to do anything you want.  Yet we all at at least instinctively know that this is not freedom but instead chaos, considering that those who promote such blather fail to adhere to absolute standards of right versus wrong.  For believers, we know that what Peter claims is true because we have experienced the freedom of knowing and loving Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.  He rescues us from our sin, from being slaves to sin, and in so doing, provides the means for us to live a life for Him.

We do not belong to this world but instead to Christ (John 15:19).

He calls us to be transformed not be the patterns of this world but by the renewing of the mind (Romans 12:2).

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God, the King of Kings and the Name above all Names.  You created the heavens and the earth and everything in between.  You chose me, then suffered and died for me, rising again from the grave to beat sin and death, paving the way for me to true freedom from sin, and to enjoy eternity in heaven with You.  How awesome You are!  Thank You for such a gift and for being so merciful and patient with me.  I am not worth such blessings!  I very often fail to be patient with others, including my own family, so please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from such sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me discern and protect myself from false teachers.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure Lisa of this cancer.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.