Saturday, December 15, 2018

“A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.”

Mark 6

“A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.” v4

DesiringGod.com writes that this passage is about pride and how it can blind us from seeing things as they are.  In this case, those in the synagogue in Nazereth hearing Jesus preach were amazed at his teaching abilities (v2), yet could not come to bring themselves to admitting that Jesus was special - in fact, their hardened hearts led them to be offended (v3).  

Pride is defined as a focus on self and achievements/status.  Pride often leads to arrogance, self importance, and a feeling that you can do no wrong - which in turn leads to hardened hearts when it comes to eating crow for the good of relationships that are damaged. I've been there...

We are called to be humble.  When we are we can see what is special in others because we focus not on ourselves. 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and has helped me grow less arrogant and prideful - thank You Jesus!  I am deeply grateful.  Yet I am undeserving of such blessings because I worry and miss the mark daily with so much more sin then I can care to admit or even realize.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me be humble.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.