Wednesday, December 12, 2018

If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear. Consider carefully what you hear, he continued.

Mark 4

If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear. Consider carefully what you hear, he continued. v23-24

John Piper writes how the Parable of the Sower is a message on hearing. He writes:


But for now the main point is clear and very urgent: "Take heed how you hear!" To the one who has more will be given. Do you have ears to hear? Do you have a new heart?

I'm going to talk very practically next week on how you prepare yourself to hear like this. But this morning I simply want the weight of it to land on us. Hearing is huge. I believe with all my heart that I am called to preach the Word of God. And many of you are called to teach it in various settings. But this text is about another great calling - the calling to hear the Word of God. And it is no small thing. The stakes are very high. There is a hearing that barely gets started and the Word is gone before you get out the door. There is a hearing that lasts until there is a hard time in life, and then one turns from God to other messages. There is a hearing that flourishes until the riches and pleasures of this life choke it off. And there is a hearing that defeats the devil, endures trial, scorns riches and bears fruit unto eternal life. 

Piper quotes: "[o]pen my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law" (Psalm 199:18).

I desire to help others - namely those in my family - to cultivate ears for hearing and desiring the Word of God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has helped me develop ears to Hear Your Word - thank You Jesus!  Yet I am undeserving of such love and blessing.  I know I have work to do and I daily miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.