Saturday, February 2, 2019

Therefore consider carefully how you listen. Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they think they have will be taken from them.

Luke 8

Therefore consider carefully how you listen. Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they think they have will be taken from them. v18

I posted about Mark's version of these words back in December.  I reviewed John's Piper's commentaries on these words - Part 1 and Part 2. The importance of hearing is once again front and center.

From Piper's commentary on these words from Luke 8.

"Listening - hearing - is a high calling in the Christian church because your salvation hangs on it (verse 12), and your fruitfulness hangs on it (verse 15), and the spread of the light in the world hangs on it (verses 16-17), and in the end the glory of God hangs on it (Matthew 5:16). So (verse 18), "Take heed how you hear."

My salvation, fruitfulness spread of light, AND the glory of God through me hang on my ability to HEAR.  I focus on DOING (and the shame of NOT DOING) but instead I should focus on my HEARING.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who has given me life and life to the full!  Thank You Jesus!  I am undeserving of such blessings.  I worry, I am distracted and I often fail to hear You.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.