Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

Romans 9

Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. v18

In Romans 9, Paul tackles the subject of God's sovereignty (see also Paul's words on this in Colossians 1:16-17). John Piper tackles this subject as well - here and Piper, I think boils it down for us: 

"Now, the way he controls all things may differ. Whether it’s more or less direct or more or less indirect, more or less by active intrusion or more or less by tactical permissions — however it is, God controls it, and the control is complete and pervasive. Nothing in the universe is random or without divine design and purpose."

Key here is that we don't know HOW he may be in control - for example, He could allow or direct something or someone.  This means free will exists, although being either God directed or sin directed.  Key also is that NOTHING can stop God's purpose or plans

God does love us.  He wants us to have abundant lives.  He forgives us.  And He gives us the fruits of the Spirit.  God is great!  We should desire to serve and glorify Him.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who blesses me far beyond what I can imagine - I am undeserving of all the ways You bless me.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.