Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Acts 17

Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. v11

Luke remarks that "the Berean Jews were of more noble character" in part because of their "great eagerness" with which they received Paul's messages and the extent to which they examined Scriptures to validate Paul's words against Scripture.  God wants us to "hunger and thirst for righteousness" (Matthew 5:6) and He promises that those who do will be "filled".   We should trust Luke's assessment of the Berean Jews' noble character (for more on Luke go here).  We should also trust what else the Bible has to say about going to Scripture daily.

While we don't want to seek human approval, we should focus on pleasing and glorifying God, and growing closer to Him.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus You are an awesome God and You have definitely filled me and given me more of a hunger and thirst for righteousness.  Thank You Jesus for these blessings and the many more You pour out for me daily!  I am not deserving of such blessings and love.  I worry and I am often harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.