Wednesday, December 4, 2019

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.

James 3

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. v17-18

James covers several topics in chapter3, including introductory remarks on how teachers are held to a higher standard of behavior than others, and how "the tongue also is a fire...".  Indeed James words and similar scripture have pricked my heart many times during study and I've posted about it here.

In v13-18 James covers envy, selfish ambition and earthly wisdom that "unspiritual" and "demonic".  He writes about how envy and selfish ambition lead to "disorder and every evil practice" (v16).

We need to avoid chasing temptations from the prince of this age and instead chase Jesus Christ.

V17 and the promise in v18 give believers hope so that we don't feel the need to chase the
temptations from the prince of this age.  Scripture gives us so much hope, including gems such as:

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Matthew 5:6

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who HAS FILLED ME!  Thank You Jesus!  My cup overflows.  I am not deserving for how You have so richly blessed me.  I gossip, worry, and have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.