Thursday, December 12, 2019

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

1 Peter 1

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls. v8-9

Both the MacArthur Bible Study Commentary (for purchase) and OverviewBible.com indicate that this general epistle addressed to believers in modern day Turkey (map) focuses on believers response to persecution and suffering.  In v1-9, Peter reminds us of our eternal rewards that await (v4-7) and how there is a purpose in our suffering (v7). 

In v8 Peter defines faith as love and joy in something "not seen" - I feel compelled to write on this because I would argue that Jesus Christ is real and visible through those believers that live as a "living sacrifice", as a "light", through the church and our brothers and sisters in Christ, and through the Holy Spirit.

I would hope that people see Jesus in me as I see Jesus in others and I FEEL the evidence of the Holy Spirit in me.  I DO have that "inexpressible and glorious joy" and my hope is that others see this in me as real.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who has given me Your Word, the Holy Spirit, the church, brothers and sisters in Christ and of course everything!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of the blessings You pour out for me.  I gossip, worry, etc. and have other sins...daily!  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love him.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.