Friday, December 13, 2019

Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God....For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

1 Peter 1

Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God....For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. v21,23

As Peter exhorts us to be "alert and fully sober" (v13), to be "obedient" and to avoid following our evil desires (v14), to be holy (v15-16), and to live in "reverent fear" (v17), He reminds us of who Christ is and how our faith itself is a gift from God.  John Piper provides this excellent message
to help us more fully understand not just how our faith is a gift from God but how God is orchestrating so much more so that we can see Jesus Christ as the object our treasure and hope.

We also have this great nugget in v23 that reminds us how our faith rests on something that is "not perishable" but "living and enduring".

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who loves me, who never stops loving me and working for me - thank You Jesus!  I know You love me and I am greatly encouraged that You give me faith and I can count on You, Your Word and the Holy Spirit - all of which are living, not perishable and permanent!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of what You provide for me.  I sin...daily...and it often weighs on me.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message today and every day.