Sunday, October 3, 2021

"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!"

Leviticus 10

"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!" Isaiah 6:3

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - starting with chapter ten - Our Response to God's Holiness - covering Leviticus 10:1-20, looking specifically at the theme - God's People Approach God as Holy.  Here, as the commentary begins a new chapter looking at Leviticus 10, the introduction to the chapter focuses on the contrast between Moses and the priests in Leviticus 8-9 vs that of Aaron and sons Nadab and Abihu in Leviticus 10.  The commentary points out how, in Leviticus 8-9 scripture states that Moses and priests did exactly as the Lord commanded twelve times. Yet in Leviticus 10:1-2, Nadab and Abihu offer "unauthorized fire" to the Lord "[a]nd fire came out from before the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord."  The commentary points us back to Leviticus 8, where in v8:35, Moses warns "Aaron and his sons to obey the Lord, 'so that you will not die.'"  The commentary also points us to v10:3, where Moses further explains to Aaron that "[t]his is what the Lord has said: ‘Among those who are near me I will be sanctified, and before all the people I will be glorified."  We are urged to see God as sanctified, holy - as "set apart" - implying that we are to avoid treating God as like us, or as a better version of us - both of which are not only not true, but sinful to believe as such!  The commentary refers to theologian A.W. Tozer and his book The Knowledge of the Holy, where he writes: "[w]e cannot grasp the true meaning of the divine holiness by thinking of someone or something very pure and then raising the concept to the highest degree we are capable of.  God’s holiness is not simply the best we know infinitely bettered. We know nothing like the divine holiness. It stands apart, unique, unapproachable, incomprehensible and unattainable."  The commentary then provides a number of scriptural examples that refer to God as Holy (Isaiah 6:3), His Word as Holy (Romans 7:12), and all of His attributes as Holy (Psalm 98:1) - of course this is not an exhaustive list.  The commentary then closes the first subheading or theme - God's People Approach God as Holy - by exhorting all believers to treat worship with the reverence God is due; God is Holy so we must approach God carefully and with awe and reverenceWe must avoid worship that is "unauthorized" as  Nadab and Abihu did.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are Holy, Your Word is Holy and everything about You is Holy!  You are perfect in all Your ways, and You love me.  You are worthy of my awe and white hot worship!  Yet sometimes I fail to treat my worship with the awe and reverence You desire.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.