Thursday, October 7, 2021

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

Leviticus 10

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter ten - Our Response to God's Holiness - covering Leviticus 10:1-20, looking specifically at the chapter's final theme - God's People Announce God is Gracious.  Here, the commentary encourages us to see how, in the death of Nadab and Abihu, God's grace exists.  It explains that if God allowed sacrifices to be offered in any manner the priests saw fit, such an attitude towards sin could have easily derailed God's plan to use the root or remnant of the Israelites as part of his grand design to send Jesus to die for all sin of all humanity for all times. Similar to how a parent punishes a child, the punishment served to discipline and sharpen the Israelites (or at least some of them we refer to as the root or remnant from which Jesus arose). The commentary also reminds us that God's grace abounds today as the world is full of sin - both intentional and unintentional; it states that "in God's holiness and righteous wrath He could put all sinners to death and rid the planet of evil once and for all.  But in His grace He is giving us time--time to turn to Him, time to put our faith in Him instead of our own way."  We are urged to refer to 2 Peter 3:9 where Peter writes about Gods patience. The commentary then reminds us that God's judgement (eternal damnation) awaits those who spurn God's grace, and refuse to repent and turn to Him. While God's wrath is rarely discussed in church, we must understand that all of us sin and the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). The commentary wraps by having us focus on how Jesus took the wrath of all sin upon Himself and in so doing, He gave us Himself as a place to rest where we can have forgiveness of sin and freedom in Christ.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is so full of grace for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your amazing grace.  My sin continues - harshness of others, worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and energy.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.