Tuesday, October 19, 2021

...[T]rain yourself for godliness[.]

Leviticus 13-15

...[T]rain yourself for godliness[.] 1 Timothy 4:7

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing chapter thirteen - Unclean! - covering Leviticus 13-15, looking specifically at the third theme - God Cleanses What We Cannot.  Here, the commentary focuses the ritual cleansing discussed in these chapters of Leviticus; as I have posted the past few days, the Israelites with skin disease needed cleansing because of the sin represented by sickness in general as a reminder of humankind's fallen state since the original sin.  The commentary describes the gradual nature of the cleansing process in Leviticus 13-15 as a number of steps were required and the priest was required every step of the way.  The commentary then moves to the process of sanctification for believers in Jesus Christ, and this process is gradual as well as we grow closer to Jesus through the practice of spiritual disciplines. Key to the sanctification process is confession and repentance.  We must be humble, acknowledge, and admit our sin to God and others as a starting point when we turn to Him.  God can and does cleanse us but we must submit and surrender to Him, and through confession and other spiritual disciplines.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has sanctified me and refined me - thank You Jesus!  I know there is more work to do in my heart, but I am grateful for the work You have done and continue to do.  And I recognize that I am undeserving of such blessings.  My sin continues.  Help me confess and turn from my sin, such as worry, towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and energy.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.