Monday, October 4, 2021

The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts....Come, behold the works of the Lord, how he has brought desolations on the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the chariots with fire. "Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"

Leviticus 10

The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts....Come, behold the works of the Lord, how he has brought desolations on the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the chariots with fire. "Be still, and know that I am God.  I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" Psalm 46:6, 8-10

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter ten - Our Response to God's Holiness - covering Leviticus 10:1-20, looking specifically at the theme - God's People Affirm God as the Powerful Ruler.  Here, the commentary focuses on how God reigns over all aspects of not just our lives, but over all aspects of what is happening in the universe. The commentary looks at Nadab and Abihu's "unauthorized" worship and emphasizes how regardless of any human efforts to assert control or rule over God, He "overrules." We are to see this as good news, something that provides believers peace.  We are referred to Psalm 46:6, 8-10 where the psalmist (of the sons of Korah) exhorts us to be at peace knowing that God is in control.  An additional scriptural reference that describes the extent of God's reign:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. Colossians 1:15-20

A memorable Bible moment is when Pharoah lets the Israelites leave Egypt, but he then changes his mind, pursuing the Israelites into the wilderness.  The Egyptian army pins the Israelites against the shores of the Red Sea, but Moses urges the people to be still and to trust in God:

And Moses said to the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.” Exodus 14:13-14

God understands the chaos that exists in our lives - yet we can take comfort that He is in control and He reigns.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who reigns over all aspects of my life - and You provide, protect, encourage, heal, etc.  You are my All in All!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You do of all this.  I worry, and I struggle.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.