Monday, October 11, 2021

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Leviticus 11

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

This afternoon, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing chapter eleven - Eating for God's Glory - covering Leviticus 11:1-47, looking specifically at the third theme - We Celebrate the Fulfillment of the Law by Jesus.  Here, in reviewing the entirety of this chapter of the commentary, we are encouraged to see several takeaways.  Broadly, the sacrifices described in Leviticus 11 for believers are no longer necessary as "Jesus is the final, once-for-all sacrifice.  Jesus fulfills the laws in Leviticus by providing (1) redemption - He purchases our freedom by going to the cross in our place; (2) purification - instead of the purification described in Leviticus that is required from how we become unclean, believers know that Jesus washes away our sin; (3) direction on how food is to be used for God's glory (vs dietary commands in Leviticus 11): (a) as a mission to reach others and share the gospel by meeting basic needs and by sharing meals with sinners as Jesus did with Zacchaeus (see Luke 19); (b) to promote fellowship among brothers and sisters in Christ (see Acts 2); (c) by avoiding consumption that causes stumbling (i.e. bad eating habits that cause poor health); (d) by subjecting eating to higher priorities as we should not worry about food as Jesus should be our highest priority (see Matthew 6). 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is the once and for all sacrifice - thank You Jesus - thank You for setting me free!  I am not deserving of how You set me free and for all the blessings You pour out for me.  I worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose Your as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.