Thursday, October 28, 2021

So they shall no more sacrifice their sacrifices to goat demons, after whom they whore.

Leviticus 17 

So they shall no more sacrifice their sacrifices to goat demons, after whom they whore. Leviticus 17:7

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - starting chapter fifteen - Laws of Worship Prefiguring Christ - covering Leviticus 17:1-16, looking specifically at the first theme for the chapter - God Commands Us to Worship Only Him.  The introduction to this chapter of the commentary states the Leviticus 17 "begins a new division in [this book of the Bible]."  The first 16 chapters or division focuses on doctrine of worship, while the the second division starting here in Leviticus 17 looks at application or how to "demonstrate holiness in every day life."  Leviticus 17 specifically looks at application in the context of how to worship, which according to the commentary is "central" for all of God's people - and this is true today for believers just as it was true for the Israelites.  The first theme of the commentary for Leviticus 17 looks more closely at idol worship, and zeroes in on Leviticus 17:7 where God offers strong, some would say profane, language to condemn those who pursue idol worship. The commentary then pivots to how believers today fall prey to idol worship by pursuing idols of the following types:

  • possessions (wealth, things of this world)
  • people
  • pleasure
  • promotion/status

Of course, I am now different than anybody else and I have pursued such idols in my life and even today if one examines my life one will find idol worship in some form or another - I cannot claim to be without sin. I am grateful for the sanctification process through which God helps me turn away from sin - I know this process continues.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me, is patient with me, is full of grace for me, and who sanctifies me - thank You for these blessings and I know You bless me and so many more ways!  I am not deserving of these blessings.  My sin of harshness towards others and worry continues.  Please forgive me. Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.