Monday, October 18, 2021

[B]ut your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God[.]...Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully.

Leviticus 13-15

[B]ut your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God[.]...Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully. Isaiah 59:2, Psalm 24:3-4

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing chapter thirteen - Unclean! - covering Leviticus 13-15, looking specifically at the second theme - Sin Separates Us from God.  Here, the commentary starts by making it clear that "these chapters in Leviticus state people were declared unclean and excluded [from worship] because of a skin disease [and bodily discharge], not because of sin." At the same time, the commentary states "skin disease [and bodily discharge are] an external reminder of sin and the physical deterioration sin causes" (see also post yesterday). The commentary then pivots to an examination of why God focused on skin diseases such as leprosy in Leviticus 13-14; while we don't know for certain, once again (see also post from a few days ago regarding how there are no imperfect laws), we are exhorted to avoid questioning the the validity of any of God's laws as although "[w]e may be unable to understand the reason for every law because God did not supply us with a reason....However, if for some reason we reject God's law or decide it is incorrect, we are least being impertinent, if not blasphemous.  God had a reason for the laws He gave, even though those reasons may not be clear to us.  So when we encounter things in the Bible that don't make sense to us, our impulse should be to give God the right to be God.  Skin disease symbolized sin and separation from God because that is the symbol God chose."  Finally, the commentary postulates that leprosy was as apt a symbol of sin as any as this particular skin disease, at least at the time of the writing of Leviticus, was incurable, visible and progressive - all dimensions of sin we of which believers should be aware. The commentary writes: "[b]oth leprosy and sin are incurable.  Also, leprosy affects the nervous system so that infected people become progressively desensitized to pain.  Most forms of sickness cause suffering by making us hurt; leprosy cause suffering by making its victims incapable of hurting.  Sin affects us in the same way.  The more we sin, the more we are desensitized to sin and its pain." Ultimately, the connection is drawn between not only original sin and the subsequent presence of sickness, pain and death, but also between sin and how it separates us from God as God did not allow anyone unclean to worship as described in these chapters in Leviticus. The commentary wraps by pointing us to scriptural examples of these applications, referring us to Isaiah 59:2 and Psalm 24:3-4.  

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me a path to cleanse myself of my sin - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You forgive and how You bless me.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my fatih.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.