Tuesday, February 21, 2023

...[B]ut on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

Hebrews 7

 ...[B]ut on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God. Hebrews 7:19

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. This morning, my focus is on Hebrews 7:11-22, as I lean on my commentary, and how it unpacks the fourth division "A Better Hope in the Perfect Priest," which refers to Hebrews 7:19. This text, and the accompanying commentary draws our attention to how Jesus, vs the Old Testament Levitical priests, is the perfect Great High Priest and how He is able to do what the law never could, nor was it intended to do - He saves. The commentary describes this comparison: "[i]n the old covenant, the law functioned in many ways the Israelites desperately needed, but it could not draw them closer to God. The law exposed the pervasive sinfulness of man and, as a result, the great need for a great Savior. Christ, however, does precisely what the law could never do. He saves. Jesus accomplished our salvation and gave us a new hope—a hope through which we now draw near to God."  Draw near to God!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God!  You save - and I am not deserving of my salvation.  Amazing grace indeed!  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.