Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And this we will do if God permits.

Hebrews 6

Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And this we will do if God permits.  Hebrews 6:1-3

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. This morning, I maintain my focus on Hebrews 6:1-8, as I lean on my commentary and explore what the commentary describes as the first division "Leaving the Elementary Foundation," which looks at Hebrews 6:1-3.  In this text, the commentary highlights how the author of Hebrews calls out how the original audience (Jewish believers deeply familiar with the Old Testament) "were neglecting the great salvation offered in Christ. As a result, they were stalling out in their spiritual growth and abandoning the faith."  The commentary then highlights, from the text, "three foundational truths about Christ:

  • A foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith in God
  • Instructions about washing and the laying on of hands
  • Resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment."

Broadly, the commentary describes how the Jewish believers were slipping back into their old ways of doing things, including a focus on works, ceremonial washings (vs Christian baptism), and a failure to truly grasp that "[u]nless Jesus Christ stands as our advocate and our substitute, we cannot stand before God in the judgment that is coming."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank You for taking my place on the cross and for giving me victory over sin and death - I know there is nothing I can do to earn this - it is only by Your grace.  I am undeserving...my sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.