Tuesday, February 28, 2023

But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises.

Hebrews 8

 But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. Hebrews 8:6

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 8:1-13, specifically on the text of 8:6-13, leaning on my commentary for its observations on the second division entitled "The Superiority of the New Covenant".  Here, both the text and the commentary make it clear that the new covenant ushered in by Jesus and His shed blood in superior in all ways.  The commentary starts by pointing out how the first covenant was "incomplete" and it was not "final."  Yet, Jesus's death on the cross, as the commentary points out to us by referring us to John 19:30, finished the need for "an unrelenting need for constant sacrifices...the wrath of God toward the sin of his people was finally paid in full."  The commentary then makes this emphatic point: "[i]ndeed, a better priest with a better ministry has come to mediate a better covenant enacted on better promises."  The commentary also shares how the author of Hebrews uses Jeremiah 31, as already done with Genesis 14 (Melchizedek) and Psalm 110, to show [the original readers of Hebrews] them that "they should have been anticipating a priest according to the order of Melchizedek."  The commentary then wraps for this text by describing the "extraordinary promise of the new covenant [as] not that God would dismiss the old covenant but that he would be merciful toward our iniquities and remember our sins no more.  Our greatest problem is sin, for it severs us from the presence of God. Our sin and his holiness are incompatible, yet God promised to reconcile sinful people to himself through the mediator who would inaugurate the new covenant. He chose to do this through his Son, Jesus Christ, the mediator who established the new covenant in his blood (Luke 22:20)."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father - You are an awesome God whose covenant with His people is better in all ways - thank You Jesus!  You paid the ultimate price so that I would have victory over sin and death and life to the full now and for eternity.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such sin.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.