Saturday, February 4, 2023

About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.

Hebrews 5

About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. Hebrews 5:11

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. This morning, I maintain my focus on Hebrews 5:11-14, as I lean on my commentary and explore what the commentary describes as the first division "The Diagnosis: Dull Hearing," which looks at Hebrews 5:11. Here, the commentary describes how the author pauses a discussion started in chapter 4 about how Jesus is an infinitely better Great High Priest, and while the author seeks to continue on this topic (writing we have much to say) - appears to be frustrated with the audience who has "dull become of hearing."  The commentary writes: "Those who are trained in Scripture and are progressing in the faith are better equipped to understand Christ’s priesthood, but those who shut their ears to God’s Word regress in their faith and fumble in their comprehension. Spiritual concepts like Christ’s priesthood are difficult only for the spiritually immature, those who have become “too lazy.” The spiritually mature, on the other hand, have the energy to investigate and understand spiritual concepts that are hard to explain." The commentary goes on: "In the case of the Hebrews, the congregation became intellectually sluggish by their own negligence. Their spiritual immaturity was their fault. They grew intellectually dull because they became sluggish of heart. Christ’s priesthood became difficult to understand because their hearts became indifferent to Scripture. Thus, the author must stop explaining Christ’s priesthood in order to admonish his people and prod them out of their lethargy." Believers, we are urged to shake off our lethargy and to hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matthew 5:6), and to, as John Piper puts it, "savor [H]im above all else."  Pray that God give you this hunger and thirst for righteousness!

Comment and discuss this post

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has done an amazing transformation in my heart, and life and You have saved me - from eternal damnation and so much more! Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.