Monday, February 6, 2023

But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.

Hebrews 5

But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil. Hebrews 5:14

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. This morning, I maintain my focus on Hebrews 5:11-14, as I lean on my commentary and explore what the commentary describes as the third division "The Remedy: Discerning Power," which looks at Hebrews 5:14. Over the past two days, having looked at "The Diagnosis" and "The Symptom," this morning, I examine what the author outlines what it takes for believers to become spiritually mature. The commentary makes this clear: "[o]nly by faithfully and diligently studying the Scriptures can we rightly train and exercise our spiritual power of discernment....This does not mean Christians eventually reach the point where they no longer need to study Scripture. All Christians, even maturing ones, always need the Bible....When Christians possess discernment and can distinguish between good and evil, they have the capacity for spiritual reasoning. They can see how one doctrine relates to another and can logically apply those doctrines to aid decision making in all areas of the Christian life."  As I look back on my tag cloud and search for exhortations elsewhere that urge us to have daily time with God in study and prayer, two in particular strike me a relevant for this morning.

Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. Psalm 119:18

Blessed is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors. Proverbs 8:34

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, You are an awesome God in how You speak to me and reveal Yourself to me through Your Word, and how You sanctify me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You do this for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.