Thursday, February 23, 2023

Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.

Hebrews 7

 Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. Hebrews 7:25

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 7:23-28, and my initial unaided observations of this text.  Here the text starts by contrasting how the service of Levitical priests was limited by their earthly lives and their ultimately ended upon death (v23).  Jesus, of course reigns as Great High Priest forever (v24).  V25 states that, as a result, Jesus is able to save "to the uttermost," which is defined as a superlative - to the highest degree.  He only saves those "who draw near to God through Him."  Jesus is able to do this because "He always lives to make intercession for them." V26-28 explore attributes of Jesus as Great High Priest, including "holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens." This text also describes how the Great High Priest does not need to perform ritualistic sacrifices for Himself nor for those whom He intercedes.  He offered Himself on the cross.  The text wraps by contrasting the Levitical priests as weak and whose service ended upon death, with Jesus who is the perfect Great High Priest.  Believers, rejoice in how Jesus is able to save to the uttermost!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are a better mediator and You intercede all the time on my behalf to save me, forgive me and to bring my prayers to the Father.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of these blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.