Monday, February 27, 2023

Now the point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, a minister in the holy places, in the true tent that the Lord set up, not man.

Hebrews 8

 Now the point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, a minister in the holy places, in the true tent that the Lord set up, not man. Hebrews 8:1

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 8:1-13, focusing on the text of 8:1-5 specifically, and leaning on my commentary for its observations, including observations for the entirety of the text v1-13 and for v1-5 which my commentary refers to as the first division entitled "The Superiority of the Great High Priest". The commentary focuses on how the text for v1-5, for the Jewish believers reading the original text of Hebrews, reinforces the need for Jesus as a great high priest "who mediates a new and better covenant." It describes the Old Testament priesthood, fulfilled by the Levites, as "terrestrial" while the New Testament priesthood, fulfilled by Jesus, is heavenly, and Jesus's stature is "exalted" above all names.  The commentary refers us to Philippians 2:8-9 where Paul shares Christ's exalted status. The commentary then lays to rest any doubts that Christ's work is complete - instead it shares how Christ's "mediatory work is [His] primary occupation," and how He is coming back at the end of times to "vindicate His church and judge the nations." Finally, the commentary explores in detail how the text for today describes how Christ operates in a Heavenly tent or tabernacle created by God vs with human hands.  On the other hand, the sacrifice and the ministry offered by the Levites was merely a shadow of what was to come - Christ. Believers, rejoice in how we have Jesus Christ - a Great High Priest who offers a new and better covenant!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who came down from Heaven and died on the cross for me...and You continue to mediate for me daily and never leave or forsake me.  You also offer hope...through victory over sin and death.  Thank You Jesus for these blessings!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.