Friday, February 17, 2023

This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant.

Hebrews 7

This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant. Hebrews 7:22

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 7:11-22, and my initial unaided observations of this text.  Unpacking this text, I observe:

  • The text rhetorically asks challenges us to see if perfection was possible through the Levitical priesthood, there would be no need for a priest after the order of Melchizedek (v11); while honorable men served from Levites as the high priest, each was flawed and imperfect
  • It then logically connects a change in the priesthood - to not be a Levite - to a change in the law itself (v12); Jesus is known as the Great High Priest, and as perfect, yet He descended from Judah, not a Levite (v13-14)
  • This change is even more clear and evident in Jesus given his resemblance to Melchizedek and by the power of an indestructible life (v14-17)
  • Through Jesus, we set aside former commandments attached to the priesthood and sacrifices and we have have a better hope, though which we are reconciled to God once and for all through shed blood (v18-19)
  • Jesus became Great High Priest with an oath God made to Himself (v20-21)
  • Therefore, Jesus is the guarantor of a better covenant (v22)

Be grateful that we have Jesus as Great High Priest and that we can approach Him with confidence, knowing He forgives sins, hears our prayers, loves us, and never leaves or forsakes us.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me, help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.