Wednesday, March 1, 2023

By this the Holy Spirit indicates that the way into the holy places is not yet opened as long as the first section is still standing (which is symbolic for the present age). According to this arrangement, gifts and sacrifices are offered that cannot perfect the conscience of the worshiper, but deal only with food and drink and various washings, regulations for the body imposed until the time of reformation.

Hebrews 9

 By this the Holy Spirit indicates that the way into the holy places is not yet opened as long as the first section is still standing (which is symbolic for the present age). According to this arrangement, gifts and sacrifices are offered that cannot perfect the conscience of the worshiper, but deal only with food and drink and various washings, regulations for the body imposed until the time of reformation. Hebrews 9:8-10

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 9:1-10, and my initial unaided observations of this text.  Here, the text explores how the Levitical priests, first the priest, then the high priest, enter the tent of worship, including the inner section - referred to as the Most Holy Place (v3). The area of question - struggle - for me this morning is v8-10.  These verses describe how "the way into the holy places is not opened as long as the first section is still standing (which is symbolic for the present age)," and this implies how the first covenant and the sacrificial system as outlined in Leviticus remained in place until Jesus death on the cross resulted in a tearing down of this system, allowing direct access to the Most Holy Place or direct access to God for those who believe in Him (see also this post on DesiringGod.com).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for what You have done to give me access directly to You, what an amazing gift and of course I am not deserving of such an act of amazing grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.