Friday, March 31, 2023

And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.

Daniel 7

And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed. Daniel 7:14

I continue my study of Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 7:1-14 as I lean on my commentary for this text.  The commentary outlines two divisions for this text:

  • God Is Sovereign over the Nations (7:1-8): The commentary first starts by emphasizing how God reigns amidst the chaos (depicted as raging seas in v2 where this image is also used in scripture (see also Isaiah 17:12, Job 41:31, and Revelation 17:15) in the world around us, including how nation states rise and fall.  It portrays the beasts which the commentary portrays as Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, Rome.  The fourth beast is also described as the anti-Christ. Ultimately all of these kingdoms, and all kingdoms rise and fall at the mercy of God's hand.
  • God Is Sovereign over His Kingdom (7:9-14): this text is described in the commentary as "the most important verses in Daniel and some of the most important verses in the whole Bible. They are important theologically. They are important eschatologically. And they are important Christologically."  The commentary uses text from these verses to describe attributes of God: holy, pure, righteous, omnipresent, omniscient, wise, judge, in all things at all times, and both loving and wrathful. How the first three beasts are stripped of their power and authority demonstrates how God is full of grace and patience but still ultimately sovereign. Then in v13-14 we see how God is sovereign in how both God the Father and His Son reign. The commentary shares how the reference to the "Son of Man" v13 is a clear reference to Christ as scripture elsewhere refers to this description, including how this was Jesus's own "favorite designated title" (se also Acts 7:56, Revelation 1:13, Mark 10:45, etc.).

We should rest in how, despite the chaos in the world around us - don't you see it? - God is in control, and He is saving a place in heaven for us and the victory over sin and death is already won! 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome and You are before, in, and in control of all things and I know You love and You have sealed me and my salvation for eternity - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You love me and saved me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You...daily.  Help me grow in my faith and glorify You.  Please provide Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.