Thursday, March 2, 2023

Now even the first covenant had regulations for worship and an earthly place of holiness.

Hebrews 9

 Now even the first covenant had regulations for worship and an earthly place of holiness. Hebrews 9:1

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 9:1-10, specifically on the text of 9:1-5, leaning on my commentary for its observations on the first division entitled "The New Covenant Worship of God Foreshadowed".  The commentary first emphasizes human nature and how people tend to place faith and trust in what they can physically see and touch; this emphasis is important context to appreciate how the original readers of Hebrews may have felt about the rituals of worship, including the tent of worship (tabernacle), the sections of the tabernacle, how worship was to be carried out, etc. as observed in the Old Testament - see also Exodus 25-30. The commentary shares: "[t]he Jewish Christians to whom the author was writing would have understood the holy place and the most holy place to be inextricably linked to the way God met with his people."  At the same time, the author of Hebrews sought to encourage the believers reading the original letter to see Jesus Christ as "[t]he epicenter of new covenant worship[... it] is not in a place, it’s in a person[.]" While the author of Hebrews does seek to encourage Jewish believers to see Jesus and worship of Him as superior, it is worth noting that the author "doesn’t degrade these representative objects of the old covenant. He dignifies them and shows how their placement in the tabernacle demonstrated deeper realities."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God and You dwell within me, allowing me to worship - not in a place but anywhere.  You also allow me to access the Father directly without need of a priest - I can go directly to You to intercede for me.  Thank You Jesus for these blessings!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great, and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.