Friday, March 24, 2023

But when his heart was lifted up and his spirit was hardened so that he dealt proudly, he was brought down from his kingly throne, and his glory was taken from him.

Daniel 5

 But when his heart was lifted up and his spirit was hardened so that he dealt proudly, he was brought down from his kingly throne, and his glory was taken from him. Daniel 5:20

I continue my pause of my study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 5 as I lean on a commentary for its observations of this text. Building on my post yesterday, the commentary for Daniel 5 describes Belshazzar's actions in v2-5 as an act "intended to mock the God of Judah and to celebrate the gods of Babylon as being superior."  The commentary goes further to highlight two themes throughout Daniel: "Yahweh’s supremacy over all earthly powers and the importance for Jews to remain loyal to their God even in exile." It also highlights - serving as a warning for anyone mocking God - how it is dangerous to mock God..."[t]he Babylonian king had challenged and mocked the Most High God, and it was no contest."  Belshazzar's punishment was swift. We are referred to Proverbs 1:22-26 and encouraged to remain humble.  We are also encouraged to see how Daniel points to Christ: "[g]iven that Daniel has been off the historical scene for many years, it is almost as if he has risen from the dead. He is a man of impeccable character who cannot be bought or seduced by the idols of this world. Why? Because in this man of unsurpassed wisdom is the Spirit of the Holy God....his life looks forward to the ultimate mediator between God and humanity, the Lord Jesus Christ."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who gives me Your Word, and helps me see how all that I am and have is from You alone God.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.