Monday, March 6, 2023

For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.

Hebrews 9

 For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. Hebrews 9:13-14

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 9:11-22, specifically looking at the second division covering 9:13-14, which the commentary entitles "The Superiority of Christ to the Levitical Sacrifices." Here, the text and the associated commentary make clear a stark contrast in what the Old Testament ritual sacrifices were able to do, versus what Jesus did (and still does) for us through His shed blood on the cross.  While the Old Testament sacrifices cleansed the people - they did so only externally, and such sacrifices need to be repeated annually (well, really almost immediately!).  In contrast, the commentary shares that "Christ’s sacrifice of himself internally cleanses those for whom he died. He purifies our consciences....Hebrews remarkably captures the balance of the Christian life. Redeemed people serve God and find fulfillment and joy in doing the very things that we did out of obligation and frantic determination to try to justify ourselves before Christ came. The completed work of Christ rescues us from this foolish attempt and saves us from dead works." Praise God for what He is able to do for us!  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who cleanses my conscience and gives from freedom from the sting of sin and death - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings - my sin continues to be great.  Please forgive my sin and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.