Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble.

Daniel 4

 Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble. Daniel 4:37

I continue my pause of my study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 4:28-37 as I lean on a commentary for its observations of this text. Numerous and amazing lessons are clear from this text.  The commentary starts by highlighting how the text shows how in v30 Nebuchadnezzar "had forgotten who is the Most High and who had given him his great kingdom. He forgot or chose to ignore Daniel’s warning and call to repentance."  Of course, this leads (see v28, 33) to Nebuchadnezzar punishment which was foretold to him through a dream which Daniel interpreted.  This is both an admonishment and warning to believers to go to God daily praising Him for all that we have, including our salvation, and to seek His intercession for the brokenness and sin we will experience daily in our own lives and in the world around us until we reach Heaven. The commentary sums up the arrogance of Nebuchadnezzar: "[t]he one who thought he was superhuman became subhuman."  The commentary refers us to James 4:6 and 10.  The commentary also quotes a key insight from John Piper about how we should see Jesus in this text - arrogance vs humility: "Jesus came into the world to convert people from God-like dependence on self to child-like dependence on God." The commentary then concludes with three takeaways:

  • "[I]t reminds us to remember who is God and who is not, who is King and who is not."
  • "[W]e see Christ in striking contrast with Nebuchadnezzar."  (see also table from commentary below)
  • "God gives kingdoms “to anyone he wants and sets the lowliest of people over [them]."

Know God and be humble!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You alone are King of Kings and Lord over all - You reign and provide for all - holding all of us and all of creation in Your Hands.  Thank You Jesus for how You provide.  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.