Saturday, March 18, 2023

[O]ur God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.

Daniel 3

 [O]ur God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up. Daniel 3:17-18

I continue my pause of my study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 3 and my unaided observations of this chapter.  Tomorrow, I review the same text and lean on commentary provided the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series for Daniel.  In Daniel 3, I am immediately struck by how quickly Nebuchadnezzar pivots from proclaiming in Daniel 2 that "[Daniel's] God is God of gods and Lord of kings," to building an image of himself in requiring that people worship him (Daniel 3:1-6). I am then led to believe that Nebuchadnezzar's proclamation in Daniel 2:47 is not informed by a heart of faith to God that is firm but a loose one that is built on sand that is easily destroyed and tossed about (Matthew 7:24-27)....a warning to us all.  Of course, Daniel's companions - Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego - maintain a firm faith in the One True God and refuse to worship the image set up by Nebuchadnezzar. They are thrown into the fiery furnace, where God is with them (even Nebuchadnezzar sees Him - v25), and they come out of the furnace unharmed.  We see once again, in response, a decree from Nebuchadnezzar that punishes anyone who "speaks anything against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego" (v29).  For believers, as indicated, this text serves as a warning to build a faith on rock - primarily through developing strong spiritual disciplines.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good - and You give me all I need to build a faith on rock - Your Word, the Holy Spirit, brothers and sisters in Christ, the church, etc.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.