Saturday, March 25, 2023

So Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no kind of harm was found on him, because he had trusted in his God.

Daniel 6

 So Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no kind of harm was found on him, because he had trusted in his God. Daniel 6:23

I continue my pause of my study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 6 and my unaided observations of this chapter.  Here, we see a powerful earthly sin at work - envy and jealousy.  In v1-9 we see Daniel growing in power and status within Babylonia under King Darius, so we see men in Darius' court working to undermine Daniel by getting Darius to unwittingly issue a new law that forces all within the kingdom to worship only Darius.  What is interesting here is how the high officials did not see Daniel do anything wrong, so they came up with a scheme they knew could trap him even though he was otherwise blameless (see v5). Of course, Daniel knew about the law but this did not stop him from openly pursuing worship of the One True God - regardless of how this may be against any earthly or secular law (see v10).  Darius liked Daniel but he felt trapped - he had to enforce the new law, regardless of how he unwittingly agreed to it.  He even prayed to God that Daniel be delivered from the punishment - the lions den (see v16).  Of course, God does rescue Daniel (see v21-23).  The text remarks how no harm was found on Daniel "because he had trusted in his God (v23)."  Darius Those who sought to take Daniel down - and their entire families - were harshly punished as they were thrown into the lions den and not rescued by God (see v24). V26-27 is important to note how Darius praises God for how he rescued God:

Then King Darius wrote to all the peoples, nations, and languages that dwell in all the earth: “Peace be multiplied to you. I make a decree, that in all my royal dominion people are to tremble and fear before the God of Daniel, for he is the living God, enduring forever; his kingdom shall never be destroyed, and his dominion shall be to the end. He delivers and rescues; he works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth, he who has saved Daniel from the power of the lions.” v25-27

Darius' words seem to be inspired by the Holy Spirit!  Indeed we SHOULD tremble and fear God as His kingdom lasts forever, and His works are incredible and miraculous - and of course He saves!  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a good and worthy of my praise and worship - always and regardless of the circumstances as I know that You will never leave or forsake me and You save! Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.