Thursday, March 9, 2023

And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

Hebrews 9

 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. Hebrews 9:27-28

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 9:23-28, and my initial unaided observations of this text. Here the author of Hebrews once again compares the Old Testament and first covenant, including the associated sacrifices required by the law, with the New Testament and new covenant. Specifically, the author looks at how Christ only needed to die once as the once and for all of redemptive history as the penalty for sin and to satisfy God's wrath for sin.  V23-24 look at how Old Testament worship represented a foretaste, copy, or shadow of things to come.  V26b focuses us on Christ's death on the cross, "put away sin" - believers should rejoice in this "already won" victory, which of course includes victory over death as well.  In v27-28 we have this interesting text where it compares how a man only dies once and is then judged to determine whether he is saved or condemned, with how Jesus only died once but will come again to those awaiting His return.  The implication in Christ's 2nd coming is not explicit in the text here but my sense is that this is focused on how Christ's return will be the end of times as described in the book of Revelation.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is full of grace for me and who has given me victory over both sin and death - thank You Jesus!  I am of course not deserving of such a gift - the greatest gift of all time!  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Please help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.