Wednesday, March 15, 2023

And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, nor shall the kingdom be left to another people. It shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand forever.

Daniel 2

 And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, nor shall the kingdom be left to another people. It shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand forever. Daniel 2:44

I pause in my study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 2 as I lean on a commentary for its observations for v31-49. Here the commentary highlights a few key themes, starting with how the text - by describing Daniel's vision of King Nebuchadnezzar's dream and Daniel's interpretation - reveals "a God who is absolutely sovereign in what he knows (omniscience) and what he will do (omnipotence)."  The commentary then discusses how, although there is some debate about the text among biblical scholars, the dream demonstrates how God both creates and destroys all ruling authorities and empires.  There is general agreement about how the dream represents Babylon, followed by Medo-Persia, Greece, then Rome, all of which rise and fall by the hand of God. Daniel's interpretation climaxes in v44, where we see a prophecy of Christ's eternal kingdom, including how God will destroy all the kingdom's succeeding Babylon as described earlier in the interpretation of the dream.  The commentary then caps Daniel's interpretation by sharing that in v45 "Daniel brings his interpretation to a close with two resounding affirmations: (1) a great God has revealed this, and (2) “the dream is certain, and its interpretation reliable[.]” The commentary then points to Nebuchadnezzar's reaction to Daniel's interpretation, how Nebuchadnezzar acknowledges God's power and how God works through Daniel, and the commentary then wraps by sharing as well how "God honors his servants who faithfully serve him" - Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good and Your kingdom lasts forever!  I can count on You as Your promises all come true and You never leave or forsake me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless and provide for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.