Saturday, March 4, 2023

...[H]ow much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.

Hebrews 9

 ...[H]ow much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. Hebrews 9:14

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 9:11-22, and my initial unaided observations of this text. Here, the text pivots from what the first covenant, the high priest, the earthly tabernacle, and the Old Testament sacrificial system cannot do, to what Jesus did through the shedding of His blood.  Instead of entering the earthly tabernacle, Christ entered "through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation)" (v11), and He made the once and final sacrifice for all of humanity that redeemed sinners (v12).  He also cleansed believers not just externally, but internally by working in our hearts (v14).  V15-22 then goes on to describe how Jesus is the "mediator of a new covenant," and how believers "receive the promised eternal inheritance."  This inheritance is passed because of the will of Jesus and the will goes into effect by the shedding of His blood and His death. Praise God for this new and greater covenant where we have forgiveness of sin and the promised eternal inheritance!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who shed His blood and died for me, and gave me an forgiveness of sin and an eternal inheritance - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of these blessings...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.