Sunday, March 19, 2023

But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.

Daniel 3

 But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up. Daniel 3:18

I continue my pause of my study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 3 as I lean on a commentary for its observations of this chapter.  Of course, the key theme of this chapter is how Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednago hold firm to their faith, and demonstrate supernatural courage to deny the proclamation that upon hearing the associated music, all shall fall down and worship the image of gold set up by King Nebuchadnezzar.  The commentary notes how, although at the end of chapter two Nebuchadnezzar praises God, such praise was "a shallow and surface praise."  It also notes how Daniel's interpretation of the dream included a vision of how Nebuchadnezzar represented the head of statue and was gold, and how in chapter 3 the commentary notes that Nebuchadnezzar "suggests that Nebuchadnezzar did not accept God’s will that he was only the head of gold and a temporary king. He wanted it all; therefore, he set up a great gold statue ninety feet high by nine feet wide, gold plated from head to toe (v. 1)." The commentary then pivots to the courage of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednago to withstand the temptation to worship idols, even when such temptation puts our lives at risk. It shares: "It takes courage not to compromise, and your mind needs to be made up before the pressure comes. If you wait until “the moment of truth,” you may find out it is too late." The commentary then discusses how the fourth man in the furnace with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednago was a "preincarnate appearance of the Second Person of the Trinity, the Son of God. The Lord was in there with them. The God who did not deliver them from the fire was the God who met them in the fire and delivered them out of the fire!" We are encouraged to see how in the Bible, it is clear how God never leaves or forsakes us: Exodus 3:6,12; Isaiah 43:2; Matthew 28:18-20; Romans 8:37-39; Hebrews 13:5; and 1 Peter 4:12-14

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who never leaves or forsakes us - even when things are very difficult, You never leave us.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.