Sunday, March 12, 2023

As for these four youths, God gave them learning and skill in all literature and wisdom, and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.

Daniel 1

 As for these four youths, God gave them learning and skill in all literature and wisdom, and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams. Daniel 1:17

I continue my pause of a study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. Today my focus is Daniel 1 as I lean on a commentary for its observations of this book.  Here, the commentary for Daniel 1 emphasizes a number of key themes, including:

  1. God May Sovereignly Send You to a Difficult Place to Spread His Name among the Nations (v1-3)
  2. Be Prepared for the Challenges Non-Christian Cultures Will Throw at You to Lead You Away from God (v3-7)
  3. Determine Early in Your Life and Heart That You Will Not Compromise Your Convictions and Commitments to God (v8-13)
  4. Trust God to Honor Your Devotion and Faithfulness to Him (v14-21)

It shares how believers may find ourselves in challenging places, both figuratively and literally, and how we should "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things” (Colossians 3:2) and how we are “not [to] be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Romans 12:2).  Daniel and his companions hold firm to their faith and remain obedience, despite the pressure to conform to Babylonian culture while in the service of Nebuchadnezzar's palace.  Believers of today are reminded of similar challenges today. The commentary wraps by sharing how Daniel was a foretaste of Jesus: Daniel and his companions "beautifully typify another Hebrew who will arrive six hundred years later who was also sent to a foreign land to bear witness to the one true God—a Jew by the name of Jesus." Believers should be encouraged by Daniel's example and how God provided for him and his companions and blessed them in their obedience, despite the challenging circumstances.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord You are good - Your mercies are new every morning, and You provide for all of my needs - and You never leave or forsake me...thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.