Monday, March 13, 2023

The king answered and said to Daniel, “Truly, your God is God of gods and Lord of kings, and a revealer of mysteries, for you have been able to reveal this mystery.”

Daniel 2

 The king answered and said to Daniel, “Truly, your God is God of gods and Lord of kings, and a revealer of mysteries, for you have been able to reveal this mystery.” Daniel 2:47

I pause in my study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 2 and my unaided observations of this chapter.  Here, this text describes how Nebuchadnezzar has dreams that trouble him and prevent him from sleeping well (v1-2).  Then Nebuchadnezzar asked the "magicians, the enchanters, the sorcerers, and the Chaldeans" to interpret his dreams, and he indicates that they are to do this (and be rewarded) or they will be killed (v3-6).  They ultimately tell the king that his request is not possible and the king was very angry - he then sent out a decree that all the wise man of Babylon be destroyed (v10-12). Daniel was able to persuade the captain of the guards that he could interpret the king's dreams (v14-16).  Before he went in to see the king, Daniel sought out his companions (Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah), and told them to pray for mercy (v17-18).  The mystery of the king's dreams were then revealed to Daniel, and Daniel praised God (v20-23).  Daniel then appeared before the king and made it clear that God alone interpreted the dreams and it is his wisdom that reigns and Daniel is only used as a messenger (v28, 30). Daniel then interprets the dreams (v36-45), including how God will set up a kingdom that will last forever (v44) - a clear reference to Christ's reign.  Daniel is then rewarded (v46-49) for his ability to interpret the king's dreams and the king even acknowledges how God reigns (v47). 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good and You provide for all my needs, physical, emotional, and spiritual - and You are the source of all gifts and wisdom - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.