Friday, March 10, 2023

Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own, for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Hebrews 9

 Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own, for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. Hebrews 9:25-26

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 9:23-28, as I lean on my commentary for the entirety of this text by way of introduction, and also a specific examination of the commentary for the first division - 9:23-26 which the commentary entitles "The Superlative Sacrifice of Christ." The commentary highlights the "sufficiency, singularity, and effectiveness of Christ’s sacrifice." Christ's sacrifice is described as better and superior to the sacrifices of the first covenant and Old Testament because as the commentary shares: "it is associated with heaven itself—the place of God’s very presence." The commentary wraps by then describing the "unprecedented" impact of Christ's sacrifice: it "dispenses sin, exiles it, places it under judgment, and ultimately defeats it."  The unprecedented nature of Christ's sacrifice is then described as being truly revolutionary for those reading Hebrews when originally written. The Jewish Christian readers at the time needed this book to help them see how Jesus is "better".

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who defeated sin and death and gave me an eternal inheritance - thank You Jesus for the victory You already won and give to me.  I am not deserving of such blessings and gifts.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.