Friday, March 3, 2023

By this the Holy Spirit indicates that the way into the holy places is not yet opened as long as the first section is still standing (which is symbolic for the present age).

Hebrews 9

By this the Holy Spirit indicates that the way into the holy places is not yet opened as long as the first section is still standing (which is symbolic for the present age). Hebrews 9:8-9

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 9:1-10, specifically on the text of 9:6-10, leaning on my commentary for its observations on the second division entitled "The End of Mediated Access to God".  Here, my commentary focuses on how the work of the high priest during the period of the First Covenant to atone for sins of the people was incomplete - it needed ongoing repetition - every year on the Day of Atonement. As a starting point, the commentary describes the pervasive nature of humanity's sinful nature, including sins of commission (intentionally doing wrong), omission (not doing what God seeks for us to do), and "sins committed in ignorance or unintentionally."  The commentary then points to how in v8-9 the Holy Spirit was pointing to a new way that allowed direct access to God, not relying on a mediator.  It shares: "the Holy Spirit was indicating something through the architecture of the tabernacle: even he was crying out for the day when the final sacrifice would come. As long as there was a curtain between the holy place and the most holy place, the people were not fully in the presence of God. They could not draw near to God with confidence. Thus, the veil between the most holy place and the holy place indicated incompleteness and an inability to approach God." Of course, when Jesus declared that "it is finished" (John 19:30) on the cross, believers in Him, could access God directly as Jesus became the once and for all, final sacrifice for the sins of the people, eliminating the need for repetitive sacrifices tearing down the veil that separated the people from God.  The commentary wraps by describing how Christ's sacrifice on the cross also did something else critical for us: it provided a means for not just ritual and external cleansing of sin, but it provided inner cleansing by giving us God in our hearts.  Praise God!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for the work You did on the cross, giving me access to You directly and for working in my heart!  I am grateful!  But I also know that I am undeserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.