Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Therefore, O king, let my counsel be acceptable to you: break off your sins by practicing righteousness, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the oppressed, that there may perhaps be a lengthening of your prosperity.

Daniel 4

 Therefore, O king, let my counsel be acceptable to you: break off your sins by practicing righteousness, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the oppressed, that there may perhaps be a lengthening of your prosperity. Daniel 4:27

I continue my pause of my study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 4:1-27 as I lean on a commentary for its observations of this text. The commentary highlights three divisions for this text:

  • v1-3 It Is Good to Honor Our Great and Sovereign God for Sorrow That Leads to Repentance: these verses describe Nebuchadnezzar's praise of God in reaction to seeing how God rescued Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednago from the fiery furnace (chapter 3); the commentary, in particular notes how the words used by Nebuchadnezzar echo biblical terminology and reflect praise of God found elsewhere in scripture, including Psalm 145
  • v4-18 It Is Good When Our Great and Sovereign God Troubles Our Hearts in Order to Get Our Attention: here, the commentary describes the reaction Nebuchadnezzar had to his second dream and how he falls back into old ways going not to Daniel first to interpret the dream, but to his pagan wise men, but as to be expected these men could not and Daniel was then brought in
  • v19-27 It Is Good When Our Great and Sovereign God Exposes Our Sin and Calls Us to Righteousness: here, the commentary discusses Daniel's reaction to the dream and his inner turmoil upon hearing how the dream reflects how God will punish Nebuchadnezzar - clearly a man whom at this point is someone the commentary shares that Daniel cares about; the commentary emphasizes how believers, when confronted with bad news that we must deliver about someone else's sin, particularly those we care about, we must be prepared to deliver God's message for both repentance and hope

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a good God who offers hope and grace, in spite of our sin - thank You Jesus!  I am of course not deserving...my sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.