Sunday, March 5, 2023

But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation) he entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.

Hebrews 9

 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation) he entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption. Hebrews 9:11-12

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 9:11-22, specifically on the text of 9:11-12, leaning on my commentary for its observations on both the entirety of 9:11-22, as well as for the first division covering 9:11-12, which the commentary entitles "The Superiority of Christ to the Levitical Priests".  The commentary, in its observations of the entirety of v9:11-22, shares how the author of Hebrews uses chapter 9-10 to summarize all that has gone before in terms of the role of the Old Testament high priest and the sacrificial system.  In 9:11-12, the author of Hebrews highlights the superiority of Christ to the Levitical priests.  Christ accomplished what the Old Testament priests could not. The commentary shares how Christ's death on the cross "emphasizes the completeness and eternality of Christ’s sacrifice as opposed to the repetitive sacrifices of the Levites....Christ only offered up one [sacrifice]. In doing so, he secured an eternal redemption for us and demonstrated the sufficiency of his atonement for those who obey him. This eternal security and sufficiency grounds our confidence in Christ and the author’s exhortation to endure. Once we are redeemed, we cannot be lost. Jesus’s atonement was once for all time, accepted unconditionally by the Father, and presented in the heavenly sanctuary." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who took my place on the cross, and did what the Old Testament priests could not.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of what You have done for me - and continue to do.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.