Saturday, April 1, 2023

And the kingdom and the dominion and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven shall be given to the people of the saints of the Most High; his kingdom shall be an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.

Daniel 7

And the kingdom and the dominion and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven shall be given to the people of the saints of the Most High; his kingdom shall be an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him. Daniel 7:28

I continue my study of Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 7:15-28 as I lean on my commentary for this text. The commentary outlines one primary division for this text: "God Is Sovereign in His Judgment" with three additional sub-divisions:
  • God’s People Will Receive an Eternal Kingdom That Will Last Forever (7:15-18): the commentary emphasizes via v18 how although we inherited a sinful and fallen world as a result of Adam's sin in the beginning, we also inherit the eternal kingdom brought about by the second Adam - Jesus.
  • God’s People Will Suffer in an Earthly Kingdom That Will Last Only a Short Time (7:19-26): Believers suffer (v22) until Jesus intercedes for them and in the process giving them the eternal kingdom; the commentary shares how the fourth beast is Rome and more as supported in Revelation 13:1-10 - this beast reigns only temporarily and ultimately this beast is defeated

The commentary wraps by sharing thoughts on how Daniel was alarmed and anxious (v15): "[p]erhaps Daniel’s perplexity might be explained like this: I know a great and wonderful and eternal kingdom is on the way, but there is a long and hard road of suffering before it arrives. Battles will be lost, but the war will be won when the Son of Man comes. Wow! What a wonderful and hope-giving promise!" 

Comments and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good and I know You never leave or forsake me - in the midst of chaos You are with me and I know no harm can come upon me because You have already defeated sin and death...for me and all the saints!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.