Thursday, April 27, 2023

By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.

Hebrews 11

By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible. Hebrews 11:3

I continue my study of Hebrews, and this morning my focus is Hebrews 11:1-11, and and I am assisted in my understanding by the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary Series for Hebrews. The commentary outlines five divisions for this text - which is often referred to as the "hall of faith."

I. An Invested Assurance (11:1-3): As posted yesterday, we can endure and persevere though faith and trust in God that He has something in store for us greater than any joy we can experience in this life. The author of Hebrews gives us examples of Old Testament faith to demonstrate faith. V2 includes commendation, something believes should seek but the commentary refers us to this as "final eschatological approval—an eternal commendation instead of an eternal condemnation."  It shares that there are only two options - commendation or condemnation.  Each of the examples provided here received commendation. "They had an assurance that they invested in the promises of God. They hoped in things yet unseen, in a deliverer that had been promised but had not yet come."

II. Abel’s Faith (11:4): Abel's faith was demonstrated by a superior sacrifice - one of shedding blood, vs first fruits of the harvest as provided by his brother Cain. The commentary shares that "Abel understood that his greatest problem was that he was under divine judgment, and he needed a propitiatory sacrifice. His blood sacrifice pointed to his own sin and to his hope in God’s provision of a sacrificial Savior. This is why Abel’s sacrifice was “acceptable” to God: it was offered “by faith” in God’s promises (Gen 4:4)."

III. Enoch’s Faith (11:5-6): Enoch is only noted in scripture in Genesis 5 and here again in Hebrews but we understood that he walked with God and God "took him."  Such an inclusion offers great encouragement for those who sometimes view themselves as insignificant - God never shares these views and He is pleased anytime a believer walks with God and we never know how God will use our small faith to move mountains (see Matthew 17:20).

IV. Noah’s Faith (11:7): Noah is described by the commentary as living in reverent fear of God, as God stood in judgement of all of humanity as the flood "is the archetypal example of God’s judgment and the catastrophe of human sin." 

V. Abraham’s Faith (11:8-10): Abraham is noted for his faith as he never saw the fulfillment of those promises of fruitful land and vast descendants.  The commentary also shares the following about Abraham: "Abraham’s faith is seen in the fact that he left his home country of Haran in Mesopotamia in obedience to God, even though at the time he had no idea exactly where he was going. Of course, this may not strike us as a remarkable act of faith, but that simply proves how unfamiliar we are with the culture of the ancient Near East. The Mesopotamian world could be quite dangerous. Physical protection was often the result of being closely knit to one’s kin and community. Travel was particularly hazardous since it separated a person from his place of protection and exposed him to marauders and thieves. In this light, the fact that Abraham left Haran and traveled to a land that he did not know is indeed a remarkable act of trust in God."

The commentary wraps by summarizing how believers should live with the end in mind - seeking a better possession that we experience now. It notes: "we cannot place our ultimate satisfaction and hope in the promises and pleasures that this world has to offer. We must live by faith, recognizing that one day we will experience a joy that is greater than any joy we can know here in this life. The joys of this world are fleeting and passing. But the joys of heaven are eternal, abundant, and never-fading. If we live for those joys, we will set our affections on eternity, live meaningful lives for Christ, and endure suffering in his name as we look for the joy that awaits us in God’s heavenly city."  Amen!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion - giving me a greater possession than anything I will ever experience in this life.  Thank You for not just saving me but for saving a place for me in Heaven!  Incredible.  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.